Sending your little angel off on their very first residential trip can be a daunting time for everyone. We’ll be waving our almost-11 year old off on his first trip in a few weeks time and it’s amazing how much stuff they actually need!
We finally received a kit list for our son’s trip, two weeks before he’s due to leave, how helpful! If I’m honest though, most of it is stuff he’s already got so it hasn’t been too painful!
Kit List – Essentials
- Nightwear – I’d suggest packing at least two pairs of pyjamas. Even if they only wear one set, at least they have a spare pair in case they spill something/have an accident.
- Underwear – Pack enough for a fresh set each day plus a couple of spares just in case.
- Socks – Enough for one pair per day plus LOTS of spares if they’re doing outdoor activities, there’s nothing worse than soggy socks!
- Trousers – Jeans may not be suitable for some activities (particularly those involving water), check with your school.
- Shorts – We’ve been asked to supply shorts, not sure why in October but still!
- Long-sleeved top – Needed for activities such as archery where they need their arms covered.
- Hoody/fleece – Layers can be a great way to keep warm/cool by adding or removing them as needed.
- Waterproof Jacket
- Waterproof Trousers
- Trainers – two pairs if you can in case one pair get muddy!
- Sponge/face cloth
- Shower gel
- Sun Cream
Kit List – Little Extras
- Party clothes – Often there’ll be a disco/party night.
- Water Bottle
- Small torch
Of course you’re also going to need a big enough bag for all of this kit to go in!
I found these handy rucksacks with wheels on Amazon that might work pretty well!
One last little tip, for me at least, I’m going to take a little packet of tissues to wave him off with! He’s so excited I know he’ll be fine, but I get a little jolt of nerves every time I think about him going! I know I’ll have a wobble when the coach sets off, so I’ll need my big girl pants & a few kleenex!
Pin it for later!